15 Truths About Breastfeeding
Breastfeeding my babies was pretty awesome and when they went onto formula that was just as liberating. Today I’m sharing the honest truth about my highs & lows of breastfeeding, so enjoy!
1. You don’t have to do it & don’t let others make you feel guilty for not or for stopping. Breastfeeding is not for everyone, including your baby. Have you ever considered that?!
2. Your nipples will never look the same again neither will your boobs. But hey, it all looks the same with the lights off.
3. It doesn’t necessarily make you lose weight. Fact! I lost my baby weight when I stopped breastfeeding.
4. It’s a myth that Babies sleep through the night if they are on formula. Breastfed babies sleep too.
5. Putting lettuce leaves in your bra is not a myth. When your milk comes in & your boobs feel like they are going to explode, whack a lettuce leaf in your bra and let me know how you feel afterwards.
6. Breastfeeding can hurt in the beginning.
7. Breast milk helps heal cracked nips. It’s one of natures antiseptics
8. Don’t fear nipples shields. Nipples shields did help me when my nips were about to fall off. I used them for a few feeds and neither of my babies experienced nipple confusion. Babies know the difference between the real thing & a silicone teat. Trust me. So don’t be afraid to use them if needed.
9. Latching on, some babies do and some babies don’t. Some need a little support & some don’t. All babies, boobs and nips are different.
10. It’s true, babies cries can make your norks leak milk.
11. Breastfeeding mourning is real. A little part of you will miss it when you decide to stop. You soon get over it when you are reunited with your trusty normal bra.
12. You will want to burn those ugly breastfeeding bras when you decide to stop. However ugly they are, they still remain the comfiest bras ever.
13. Breast milk spray is real. Always come armed with breast pads. If you are a sprayer, be warned that it can happen anytime. Even during…. actually I’m not going there.
14. Breastfeeding aprons are a fab invention & has helped us normalise breastfeeding in public.
15. Sadly even now, people still judge women for breastfeeding their babies in public. So let the haters hate but be proud ladies, get those norks out and give them the middle finger!