A family classic with a nourishing spin. This Vegan Shepherds Pie is utter delicious, full of flavour and packed with tons of goodness.
- 800 g Maris Piper potatoes, peeled and roughly cubed
- 400 g Sweet potatoes, peeled and roughly cubed
- 100 g Dairy-free Butter
- 1 Red Onion
- 2 Carrots, peeled and grated
- 2 tsp of Lazy Garlic
- 1 handful of fresh coriander
- 1tsp of thyme
- 250 g chestnut mushrooms
- 340g sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, basil pasta sauce. If you prefer not to then add a can of tomato, an extra garlic clove and 6 sundried tomatoes.
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 100 ml organic vegetable stock
- 400g Butter Beans
- 400g Chickpeas
- 5 sprigs of fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F
- Peel and chop all the potatoes into chunks. Place the Maris Pipers into a large pan of cold salted water over a medium heat. After 5 minutes add the sweet potatoes. Bring to the boil, then simmer until tender. Once soft, drain and return to the pan and add the butter. Mash until smooth, then set aside.
- Peel and finely slice the onion. Peel and grate the carrots and chop the fresh coriander.
- Heat a large pan or wok and add a tsp of Garlic infused oil or a few pumps of Spray Cooking oil. Add the onion, carrot and the coriander. After a few minutes add the thyme and cook for 10 minutes.
- Chop the mushrooms and add to the pan, along with the Sun-dried tomatoes sauce and balsamic vinegar.
- Cook for a further 10 minutes, then stir in the stock, butterbeans and chickpeas, then leave until thickened and reduced.
- Stir in the chopped parsley leaves to the pan. Season to taste, then transfer to a baking dish.
- Spread the mash over the top of the pie.
- Place under the grill for until golden, then serve.
Adapted from the Jamie Oliver, Vegan Shepherd Pie recipe and made with a loving twist.